ASE pays attention to employees' interests, physical and mental health while working in the company. Thus, we have established "Employee Welfare Committee", "Employee Meal Committee" and "Labor Pension Fund Committee" that aims to develop a more comprehensive and sound welfare system for our employees.
Compensation & Welfare
In addition to offering fair and non-discriminatory compensation, our full-time employees are entitled to a consistent remuneration package. ASE reviews local market pay practices annually to ensure our employees' base pay remains competitive. In 2017, the ratio of the basic salary of women to men for direct employees was 1 : 1.1; for indirect employees1, it was 1 : 1.19; and for management employees, 1 : 1.15. All employees, regardless of gender or job title, are required to undergo performance appraisals. We offer monthly incentive bonuses and annual profit-sharing bonuses to reward employees' diligent contributions to the company. Cash bonuses are rewarded to the employees with the top performance each month based on our business results. Annual bonuses are rewarded to employees who have fulfilled their responsibilities and delivered superior results within the financial year. In 2017, ASE paid our employees approximately NT$5.51 billion through incentive bonuses. ASE also has an employee stock option program for the purpose of retaining outstanding employees. Employee stock options are valid for 10 years from the issue date.
ASE respects employees' human rights and harmonious labor/management relations. We have labor unions at certain of our facilities including ASE Kaohsiung, Weihai, Suzhou, Wuxi, Shanghai (A&T), Korea, Japan, Singapore and USI Zhangjiang & Mexico, and these Unions have been serving ASE employees for many years. At the end of 2017, the total number of union members was 24,873, accounting for around 36% of ASE Group total headcount. Union meetings are held once every quarter to communicate with employee representatives and resolve employee welfare related issues.
We respect employees' opinions and provide various channels for employees to voice any comments or concerns they may have related to their workplace. Our Human Resources Department has provided various two-way communication channels, including:
- E-mails Announcements — to announce group-wide updates and messages from top management
- Bulletin Boards — to provide information related to labor compliance policy, health and safety, and company activities
- On-Site TV News/Information — to broadcast employees' welfare-related information
- General Manager/Plant Director Mailbox — to deliver employees' opinions/suggestions to GM/Plant Director directly
- Employee Opinions Box — to collect and respond to employees' grievance and feedback
- Employee/Foreign Employee Symposium — to share and discuss work experiences, regular symposium with foreign employee every month
- Counseling Room — to provide one-on-one counseling sessions
- Labor Meeting — to have a communication between HR & labor representative quarterly
- Periodical Issue — to interview employee and let employee to express their opinions
Employee Engagement Survey
A company's most important asset is its employees. One of the long-term strategies for implementing sustainable development is using human capital effectively to create value. In the past, we conducted surveys based on employee satisfaction. After many years of analysis, reference to international trends, and discussions with scholars and experts, we collaborated with a consultant to conduct "Employee Engagement Survey" for the first time in 2017. This survey helps an organization to collect and measure employee opinions effectively, and then develop strategic methodology to attract, retain, and nurture outstanding employees. In 2016, we established the "ASE Group Employee Engagement Survey Implementation Guidelines" as a common principle and operation method for the implementation of the engagement survey in each site. ASE Group plans to conduct a comprehensive survey every two years. In 2017, we teamed up for the first time with 14 of our facilities (in the greater China region) to survey indirect employees on 15 items in six major fields of employee engagement.