ASE pays attention to employees' interests, physical and mental health while working in the company. Thus, we have established "Employee Welfare Committee", "Employee Meal Committee" and "Labor Pension Fund Committee" that aims to develop a more comprehensive and sound welfare system for our employees.
Compensation & Welfare
In addition to offering fair and non-discriminatory compensation, our full-time employees are entitled to a consistent remuneration package. ASE reviews local market pay practices annually to ensure our employees' base pay remains competitive. All employees, regardless of gender or job title, are required to undergo performance appraisals. We offer monthly incentive bonuses and annual profit-sharing bonuses to reward employees' diligent contributions to the company. Cash bonuses are rewarded to the employees with the top performance each month based on our business results. Annual bonuses are rewarded to employees who have fulfilled their responsibilities and delivered superior results within the financial year. ASE also has an employee stock option program for the purpose of retaining outstanding employees. Employee stock options are valid for 10 years from the issue date.
ASE respects employees' human rights and harmonious labor/management relations. We have labor unions at certain of our facilities including ASE Kaohsiung, Weihai, Suzhou, Wuxi, Shanghai (A&T), Korea, Japan and Singapore, and these Unions have been serving ASE employees for many years. Union meetings are held once every quarter to communicate with employee representatives and resolve employee welfare related issues.
We respect employees' opinions and provide various channels for employees to voice any comments or concerns they may have related to their workplace. Our Human Resources Department has provided various two-way communication channels, including:
- E-mails Announcements — to announce group-wide updates and messages from top management
- Bulletin Boards — to provide information related to labor compliance policy, health and safety, and company activities
- On-Site TV News/Information — to broadcast employees' welfare-related information
- General Manager/Plant Director Mailbox — to deliver employees' opinions/suggestions to GM/Plant Director directly
- Employee Opinions Box — to collect and respond to employees' grievance and feedback
- Employee/Foreign Employee Symposium — to share and discuss work experiences, regular symposium with foreign employee every month
- Counseling Room — to provide one-on-one counseling sessions
- Labor Meeting — to have a communication between HR & labor representative quarterly
- Periodical Issue — to interview employee and let employee to express their opinions
We invited 21,591 employees (80 percent of the company's indirect employees) to participate in the survey, and received 16,254 responses - a response rate of 75 percent. The survey had a six-point scale. The overall employee engagement survey result was 75 percent (based on positive answers). If we adopt a more stringent criteria to count the data (only including moderately & strongly positive answers), then the overall employee engagement survey result was 46 percent. Our improvement actions are based on the 46 percent data. We invited the HR departments of the 14 participating facilities to coordinate with expert consultants and organize three "employee engagement workshops" to better understand the implications behind the feedback. They were also asked to carry out improvement plans for the top 10 weaknesses at their respective facilities and implement these improvements in 2018.