Double Side Molding
With consumer functionality increasing, there are more and more active die and passive component integrated into one package/module. Current mobile/IoT product design trend is requiring small form factor, conventional single side packaging is no longer on optimized solution due to its larger package size. Double side molding (DSM) Packages enable top and bottom side assembly with high function integration, especially suitable for RF Front-End Module (FEM) with surging number of components integrated therein for 5G applications.
Features of Double Side Molding (DSM) BGA/LGA
DSM Packages have a two side assembly structure and typically adopt a fine pitch SMT process for small form factor as well as a backside grinding process to reduce the height of bottom molding compound, die, and solder ball (or Cu pillar) for thinner solution. Optionally, compartment shielding (such as wire cage, wire fence or vertical wire) is introduced to provide EMI shielding for sensitive components/chipset.
- I/O Pitch in BGA > = 0.35mm, LGA > = 0.28mm
- Package Level Reliability pass
- Board Level Reliability pass
ASE DSM Package Offerings
ASE DSM package offerings include Ball Grid Array (BGA) and Land Grid Array (ENIG (Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold) or pre-solder) solutions.
DSM BGA (Solder ball)
DSM LGA (ENIG Solution)
DSM LGA (Pre-solder Solution)
Key Advantages of Applying DSM
- 20~40% X-Y size smaller than Single Side Molding package
- Thinner than Single side Molding package
- Lower packaging cost due to increased integration density of components within the mold tool
- Allow more functionality through double side integration
- Exposed die for better external thermal dissipation requirements
DSM BGA/LGA Applications
DSM is ideal for any system in packages with high function integration in a smaller package footprint, suitable for use in applications such as RF front-end modules (FEM) (such as PAMiD*, PAMiF*, WiFi module, mmWave FEM module, or wearable device(Watch, TWS).