Embedded Die Substrate
With the anticipated market needs of integrating more chips and functions, higher performance, lower power consumption and better heat dissipation onto a smaller form factor, demand for embedded die substrates, such as aEASI or SESUB, is expected to increase globally.
ASE offers customers a full turnkey solution of embedded die substrates through our advanced packaging and test expertise as well as substrate design and manufacturing capability.
What is Embedded Die Substrate?
Conventionally, active semiconductor chips (or dies) are mounted on top of a substrate for structural support and electrical interconnect. But in the embedded die substrate, a semiconductor die is embedded within standard PCB material (i.e., a plurality of organic laminated layers) and/or a lead frame during formation of the substrate. The semiconductor die is then electrically connected to other components (MEMS or passives) on/in the substrate through copper-plated vias and conductive traces of the substrate.
Advantages of Embedded Die Packaging
Miniaturization & Design Flexibility
- Embedded chip enables more space for other components or shrinks overall solution
- Design flexibility now shifts from 2D to 3D
Improved Thermal & Electrical Thermal Performance
- Shorter interconnections reduce parasitics - minimizes distortion and power loss
- Lower electrical & thermal resistivity in package improves power performance
Improved Reliability and Mechanical Stability
- High mechanical system stability due to stable Cu interconnections